List:       mythtv-dev
Subject:    Re: [mythtv] v4l2_request API support in MythTV ffmpeg...
From:       Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-11-11 0:01:47

> Can you share the upstream FFmpeg ticket proposing
> those patches,

exemplary for H264:
https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/project/ffmpeg/list/?series=2898

Attitude of FFmeg is quite exclusive imho....

> and either an outright rejection (which
> might justify the project maintaining an out-of-tree
> patch),

I think current FOSS default is:
-lets wait for kernel uAPI will be finalised
-implement consumer (FFmpeg) accordingly to finalised kernel uAPI

This is ideal model - but issue is time: looking on history (and ppl motivation \
erosion) - i suspect we will have FFmpeg ready to consume by MythTV in 2..3 years \
from now.

So my idea is to go align with kernel LTS cycle: 5.15 is LTS so we have guarantee to \
have compatible&available kernel with compatible uAPI within 5.15 LTS life cycle. \
When uAPI settles & upstream FFmpeg implements - we will do 1 steep upgrade (probably \
around 2023..2024; probably with minimal updates in consumer (=MythTV) code).

Alternative is wait till kernel uAPI settles, FFmpeg upstream follows = 2023..2024 in \
MythTV probably. Going with this effectively means (for me): MythTV frontend on \
non-Android is only x86_64 PC 100$+ class solution.