List:       mythtv-dev
Subject:    [mythtv] Details about mouse and touchscreen support
From:       Michael Marre <m.marre () web ! de>
Date:       2010-03-27 7:34:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Good morning list.

I am using MythTv0.23 since I have a HTPC with a buildin 15" touchscreen
from ELO. I would like to ask for details on future touch screen
support. Since cases with intigrated touch screens becomes cheaper and
cheaper I think the MythTV project should get more focus on that.

My touchscreen works well. For an example I can navigate on the desktop,
start and close programs and so on. In MythTV there is still very less
touchscreen support

My questions:

- On the future wishlist
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist_%28Setup%29) I found
following statement:

"Menu navigation through mouse-wheel and possibility to assign actions
to mouse buttons. --Matt <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Matthias>
12:09, 28 April 2007 (UTC) -- *Already possible to some degree and 0.22
will have full mouse support, though it's more about supporting
touchscreens.*--GBee <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:GBee> 18:41, 22
March 2008 (UTC) "

My findings are that the mouse support differs from what it should be
;-) Navigation is only possible in the main menues. As soon you are for
an example in the music player you are lost. No buttons work.

I tried to use the workaround described in
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Zalman_HD160XT without success. I would
expect if we had "full mouse support" the touchscreen navigation would
work and only special themes for touchscreen users would be needed (e.g.
with "back" button on every screen).

I think it would be really appreciated from the community if better "out
of the box" touch screen support is intigrated. I would help to test
patches and work together with a developer to get this issue solved
since I can imagine that not too much mythtv developers have a
touchscreen available ;)

- Is there any plan to intigrate an overlay control for e.g. videos?

Regards

Michael