List:       mythtv-dev
Subject:    [mythtv] Multiple DVB-S tuners sharing one signal source
From:       David Lister <foceni () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-04-25 12:25:12

Gentlemen,

I guess this is a common setup, but I couldn't find anything in
the docs nor on the mailing lists. I have 2x TeVii S640 DVB-S2
cards (C1, C2). C1 input = cable, C2 input = C1 loop-out. Cable
connects to one port of a DiSEqC multiswitch (2 LNB's). It's the
same situation as with low-end twin tuners.
           ______
C1 -+-----|switch|----+- LNB1 (19.2E)
C2 -+     |______|----+- LNB2 (23.5E)

MythTV DiSEqC config works, I have all channels, LNB switching
stable. If I had just one card (or two cards in two switch ports),
the configuration would be finished. Thing is, I need to tell
MythTV that there is ONE DiSEqC switch shared among BOTH cards,
i.e. MythTV can access only one LNB ("Video Source"??) at a time.

Capture cards:
  [DVB : 0]
    DiSEqC: switch, 2 ports -> (LNB, LNB)
  [DVB : 1]
    DiSEqC: switch, 2 ports -> (LNB, LNB)
Video sources:
  S19 [EIT]
  S23 [EIT]
Input connections:
  [DVB : 0] -> Port 1 (LNB) -> S19
    Input Group 1: DVB0
    Input Group 1: Generic
  [DVB : 0] -> Port 2 (LNB) -> S23
    Input Group 1: DVB0
    Input Group 1: Generic
  [DVB : 1] -> Port 1 (LNB) -> S19
    Input Group 1: DVB1
    Input Group 1: Generic
  [DVB : 1] -> Port 2 (LNB) -> S23
    Input Group 1: DVB1
    Input Group 1: Generic

I thought having just 2 video sources should take care of my
setup, because with two independent cables I would probably
have 4, one for each accessible LNB. But it doesn't seem to work
this way. Unfortunately, I can't manage this exclusion manually;
I use custom rules searching all over the table and I'd have to
screen every recording for "undetectable" LNB conflicts...

1) How to make sure MythTV is using only one LNB on both cards
   at a time?

Second question is about input groups. With HVR-500 everything
worked out of the box, but I'm having difficulties with DVB-S.
Each card -> source connection has "Input Group 1" and "Input
Group 2" properties -- my current settings seem fine according
to the docs, but MythTV allows me to use only one tuner at a time.

2) How to set both input groups for 2 tuners (per 4 multirec)?
3) Could input groups be used for my shared DiSEqC port problem?
4) Anybody has links with good info on input groups (apart from
   the documentation)? Why are there two groups per connection,
   what's the relation?

Please, at least point me in the right direction, I have been
trying for over a week now. Core function is fast and reliable:
scanning, zapping, DiSEqC, softcam for my subscr., lirc, etc.

Thanks & best regards,

--
David Lister