List:       mythtv-dev
Subject:    Re: [mythtv] What to do about Nuv
From:       "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean () thirdcontact ! com>
Date:       2008-05-27 16:00:15

On 05/27/2008 11:49 AM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:13 AM, John Barberio wrote:
>> Recently the question was asked, "Why does MythTV use Nuv?"
>>
> I think another question to ask is where does MythTV use nuv?
>
> The places I see it used are : software recorders and internal transcoding
>
> Well, it seems to me that software recorders are being used more and more
> infreqently as the switch to digital continues.  Many users are using
> hardware cards for performance reasons and the use of software based
> recordings is dropping off.
>
> The second is internal transcoding which, while present, can also be easily
> replaced by using other tools other than mythtranscode such as mencoder,
> etc.
>
> I'm not sure I see the benefit of moving to MKV.  I'd much rather see Myth
> be able to record directly to a more standard container like MPEG-TS/PS
> which has a much wider range of support for editing, etc.

Not to mention the fact that Chris Pinkham has been working on new
functionality to allow transcoding (and perhaps even recording from
framegrabbers) into other (non-NUV) containers.  AIUI, it just needs
some of his time to clean it up.  It will be here when it's here (as
he's been busy with other things).  :)

Oh, and we definitely shouldn't touch anyone's historical/unwatched
recording files.  If they want to risk breaking A/V sync by demux'ing
and remux'ing them, that's their choice--not ours.

Mike