List:       mythtv-dev
Subject:    Re: [mythtv] Commercial replacement instead of skipping
From:       Brad DerManouelian <myth () dermanouelian ! com>
Date:       2007-02-28 16:19:48

On Feb 28, 2007, at 8:03 AM, luitjens@cs.utah.edu wrote:

> Doing it automatically would have problems because the commercial
> flagging is not 100% correct.  In fact for a lot of the shows I record
> commercial flagging is only correct probably around 60% of the time.

Also, take a look at the commflag code. You'll see that part of the
positive for commercial test includes the length of the commercial
which you will not know until you've already sat through the
commercial. The length is an important part of knowing if you've got
commercial or program content. Essentially, you'll never have a start
of commercial mark until an end mark exists. That's why the "this is
the start of a commercial" button was suggested. However, if you need
to take action during a commercial, you can just as easily take the
action of jumping to Watch Recordings screen and pick something else
until the commercial is over.

Perhaps a better way to approach this is to just use OSD messages to
indicated when commercials are detected. Assuming there is a way to
speed up the commflag process to make it relatively real-time, simply
initiating an OSD saying "NFL Football: Commercial break detected".
That way you could set the option to alert you when commercials are
found on any recordings that are currently happening. You watch the
game, a commercial comes on so you exit and watch something else.
While watching something else a message appears telling you the
commflagger detected the commercial is over, so at your convenience
you exit what you're watching and continue watching the game. This
isn't quite what you're after, but it makes more sense for usability
and technically feasibility. Again - assuming someone can get the
commflagger to work reliably much closer to real-time.

All this just so you don't have to wait 10 or 15 minutes after
something is on before watching it and be subjected to commercials.