List:       mysql-win32
Subject:    mysql-win32: Re: myodbc: Application with MySQL as embedded database
From:       "Calistra Research Labs" <dave () calistra ! com>
Date:       1999-02-22 16:39:16

Ok - here is what you do...

1. to check if mySQL is running locally - you need to run a system
snapshot ( CreateToolhel32Snapshot ), check the processes for
the appropriate exe's name. You will have to include the Th32.lib
and Thelp32.h or similar to use this function.

2. To start mySQL - create a new process, keep track of it.
3. To stop mySQL - kill the process!

I have just implemented this in C++ for the next version of the
Calistra ODBC mySQL Administrator.

> how to start and stop [mySQL] it from the application. I can do that from
> the command line easily enough, but is there a way to make my
> (Delphi 4.0 and MyODBC) application actually start the database server
> when it fires up and stop it cleanly again when it shuts down?

Dave Appleton		Calistra Research Labs Pte Ltd
Tel : +65-9-640-2960	111 North Bridge Rd #21-01
Fax : 756-6058		Peninsular Plaza
                        Singapore 179098
Machine Vision Systems
Interactive Voice Response Systems Development
IT Consultants & Custom Software Development