List:       mysql-win32
Subject:    Re: mysql-win32: Index and Upgrading
From:       ashley pestkowski <ashley () design ! net ! uk>
Date:       1999-02-10 16:27:32

Hello,

Clustered indexes specify that the table is physically ordered as-per
the index keys. This means that you need one less level of nodes in
the index b-tree. Due to the physical ordering a table can obviously
only have one clustered index declared on it. Clustered indexes are
especially useful if the keys match the column list in an ORDER BY
clause of a query.
Non-clustered indexes are regular indexed that do not affect the
actual ordering of the table. You can specify multiple non-clustered
indexes on a table.