List:       mysql-win32
Subject:    Re: Inconsistent error msgs?
From:       "Graeme St.Clair" <graeme_st_clair () charter ! net>
Date:       2004-03-27 2:52:32

Yes, the difference is definitely due to the number of strings in the
concatenation.

After my original post, I poked around in the documentation (and the C
header files), and found the following:-

 #define ER_CANT_AGGREGATE_3COLLATIONS 1269
 #define ER_CANT_AGGREGATE_NCOLLATIONS 1270

I appreciate there may well be difficulty in having mysql emit an error msg
describing this problem in detail within an indefinitely large concatenation
(!), but perhaps it could report the first occurrence in detail, or better
still, use format 1269 to report occurrences n-1, n and n+1 within a
concatenation if it detects the problem at item n.  IMHO, msg 1270 is so
vague as to be practically useless.

(But having msg numbers at all is still a splendid idea!)

Rgds, GStC.