List:       mysql-plusplus
Subject:    Re: Question about threads.
From:       Warren Young <mysqlpp () etr-usa ! com>
Date:       2008-01-04 13:49:18

Jim wrote:
> Is there some intelligence here or are threads automatically included
> now if the support is there, e. g. threaded mysql and a thread library?

I'm not entirely sure what's going on.  My wild guess is that you're
seeing some effect due to Linux's intelligent shared library system,
where dependencies can propagate from one library to another.

If you say 'grep THREAD config.h' at the top MySQL++ directory, you'll
probably find that all of the relevant macros are undefined, indicating
that autoconf didn't find any thread libraries, because it wasn't asked
to look.

So, between these two things, you can end up with a program linked
against libpthread, but which doesn't actually work 100% correctly with
threads.  Linking to libpthread isn't enough.

Play with the new cpoolp example to see how different library
configurations change its behavior.