List:       mysql-plusplus
Subject:    Re: works ok, examples won't compile - Warren Young, November 28 2006 1:00am
From:       Ian Miller <ian_o_miller () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2007-01-01 22:45:44

I ran into the same problem as Elias. I'm also running
Ubuntu, but I'm using the source files. The trouble-
shooting test proposed by Warren (using
mysqlpp::cchar x = 29;)

built without a hitch. If there's been any progress on
the issue off the list I'd be interested in hearing how
to resolve it.

I'm using NetBeans 5.5 as the IDE, running Ubuntu 6.06.

Thanks,
Ian

+----------------------------------
Elias Nakos wrote:
> g++ -I/usr/include/mysql -I /usr/include/mysql++ -I../lib -lmysqlclient
> -lmysqlpp -O0 -c util.cpp
> stock.h:41: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘cchar’ with no type

This is very strange.  Type cchar is declared in defs.h, one of the core
headers for MySQL++.  If it isn't being included via mysql++.h,
something is broken with the Ubuntu package.

First, I would suggest verifying this guess by replacing the body of
your test program's main function with this:

 mysqlpp::cchar x = 29;
 return x;

If that fails in the same way, I'm right.  If not, let us know what
actually happened.

Assuming I've diagnosed the problem correctly, try building MySQL++ from
the tarball, obtained from http://tangentsoft.net/mysql++/ .  If that
works, you need to contact the maintainer of the Ubuntu package and have
them fix it.