List:       mysql-plusplus
Subject:    connection-speed
From:       "Livingsword Info" <info () livingsword ! com>
Date:       2001-11-28 9:21:17

Hi All,

I have a question about overall network performance of the
API.

I'm building a multi-user customized front-end that needs to be
real-time or as real-time as possible.

It's turning out ok, but I'm concerned about the connection-speed.
The total number of rows that will be pushed per 'tick' is growing
rapidly and the time it now takes to refresh the local data is also
increasing.

It is still very much within limits, but in the future I can imagine
the number of rows increasing dramatically.

My question : is there a FAQ or a proven method of minimizing
load across a connection? Stuff like : 'Dont use those BigInts'
or a more Accessian tip like 'Always put yer blobs at the end of
the table fields'

I've noticed that indexing the resultsets rather than using an iterator
(res[0][0], not Row row = *it; row['name'];) is a -lot- faster.

So, I'm looking for more tips/tricks on that :)

Thanks!

Erik