List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    Re: MyODBC & ODBC Manager
From:       Nick Gorham <nick () lurcher ! org>
Date:       2000-11-07 22:15:12

Sumelco wrote:

> Hi,
> We are users of MySQL and therefore of  MyODBC in our Linux SuSE system.
> We can access MySQL from JAVA Servlets by MyODBC Driver. In Linux SuSE
> we hat to install UnixODBC Driver Manager to add that driver to the
> system and everything works pretty well because UnixODBC has a XWindows
> interface.
>
> Nowadays we work with FreeBSD but in a virtual server. (we do not have a
> Xwindows or similar that is neither KDE nor GNOME...). We have our MySQL
> database already configured and we want to access by ODBC.
>
> How would you recommend us to put the MyODBC Driver into the system of
> our virtual server (FreeBSD)? With UnixODBC again?
> Is there any other easier way? We do not have XWindows.

well if you have used the GUI bits of unixODBC to set it up once, you
should just have to copy the contents of /usr/local/etc/odbcinst.ini and
/usr/local/etc/odbc.ini onto the new box. Its only a text file, so you can
make any changes you need to the files.

Can't you run a X server on the SuSE system and just telnet to the FreeBSD
box, set your DISPLAY variable and do it that way (assuming the X Libs are
on the server)

--
Nick Gorham
"I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence,