List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    HELP! Authentication Problems in MySQL Server 3.22.32!
From:       "O. Hartmann" <ohartman () ipamzlx ! physik ! uni-mainz ! de>
Date:       2000-09-23 23:04:53

The situation:

We run a FreebSD UNIX box (Version 4.1-STABLE) and MySQL 3.22.32 server for
gathering climate datas. Recently I begun installing new users and a common
authentication scheme for our institute and I droped into serious problems.
I'm editing the access database by hand, so far, all things seems to be clear
as decribed in the manual.

I hvae a special user who's able to gahther datas and insert them into a special
database. I use some UNIX shell scripst to perform those simple tasks and it worked well
since a few days ago. The script access the database by the mysql cleint in this form:

mysql -uUSERNAME -hHOSTNAME -pPASSWORD << EOF
USE database

...perfomr some tasks ...

QUIT

This worked well since I begun inserting new users into the authentication system.
When calling this script I get a return message like:

ERROR 1045 at line 2: Access denied for user: 'USERNAME@HOSTNAME.DOMAIN' (Using password: YES)

This is curios! When typing on the console or on any terminal this sequence:

mysql -uUSERNAME -hHOSTNAME -pPASSWORD

access is gained, without problem, and USE database works also very well! But there is no
possibility to gain access by this via shell script! Why? Is there a difference between shell
script an shell? Before all scripts worked well and I followed the instructions of the manuela while
clearifying and reinstalling new users by hand into the access system of MySQL.

Gruss O. Hartmann
ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de

Klimadatenserver des IPA, Universitaet Mainz
Netzwerk- und Systembetreuung