List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    RE: No subject given
From:       "Gerald R. Jensen" <autodata () execpc ! com>
Date:       1999-10-28 10:58:20

Ian:

There's a pretty good chance you haven't set permissions. Quoting from
Chapter 6 of the MySQL Manual:
You can add new users by issuing GRANT statements:
shell> mysql --user=root mysql
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO monty@localhost
           IDENTIFIED BY 'something' WITH GRANT OPTION;
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO monty@"%"
           IDENTIFIED BY 'something' WITH GRANT OPTION;
mysql> GRANT RELOAD,PROCESS ON *.* TO admin@localhost;
mysql> GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO dummy@localhost;
These GRANT statements set up three new users:
monty
A full superuser who can connect to the server from anywhere, but who must
use a password ('something' to do so. Note that we must issue GRANT
statements for both monty@localhost and monty@"%". If we don't add the
entry with localhost, the anonymous user entry for localhost that is
created by mysql_install_db will take precedence when we connect from the
local host, because it has a more specific Host field value and thuse comes
earlier in the user table sort order.
admin
A user who can connect from localhost without a password and who is granted
the reload and process administrative privileges. This allows the user to
execute the mysqladmin reload, mysqladmin refresh and mysqladmin flush-*
commands, as well as mysqladmin processlist . No database-related
privileges are granted. They can be granted later by issuing additional
GRANT statements.
dummy
A user who can connect without a password, but only from the local host.
The global privileges are all set to 'N' -- the USAGE privilege type allows
you to set up a user with no privileges. It is assumed that you will grant
database-specific privileges later.

G Jensen