List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    myodbc: Help with Concepts
From:       Michael Widenius <monty () monty ! pp ! sci ! fi>
Date:       1999-02-26 16:43:53

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher R Jones <cj@interlog.com> writes:

Christopher> I have installed MySQL on two platforms, and NT and a Linux.  They are not
Christopher> networked together.  I want to test each implementation to see which is
Christopher> easiest to use, which is more robust.

Christopher> I have an NT client attached to each of the MySQL servers.  I want to use
Christopher> Perl to access the two servers. I have installed the MySQL Perl modules on
Christopher> the client machine and on the servers.  Do I need the MySQL ODBC?  If so,
Christopher> is does MySQL ODBC have to be installed on the server as well as the
Christopher> client?  If I use MySQL ODBC, do I then use DBD:ODBC, or Win32ODBC for Perl
Christopher> scripts.

You don't need to use ODBC if you dont want to.  Check the benchmark
script (in the \mysql\bench\ directory) for how to use MySQL with and
without ODBC.

(If you use DBI/DBD with ODBC, you should connect with DBI:ODBC:odbc-database-name)

Christopher> Is there a good tutorial out there for us newbies to SQL databases.  I have
Christopher> used Foxpro for years so I am used to a user interface for creating
Christopher> databases, setting indexes and relations, etc.

On Linux you have xmysql and xmysqladmin that can help you with some
of the above.

Regards,
Monty