List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    myodbc: Speed problems !!!
From:       Michael Widenius <monty () monty ! pp ! sci ! fi>
Date:       1999-02-14 20:32:26

>>>>> "Bernardo" == Bernardo Pita <bpita@netcombbs.com> writes:

Bernardo> Hi,
Bernardo> I am proving mySQL against a base in Access 97. I have repeated equal
Bernardo> tables (7000 records) in both systems, but for my surprise when I
Bernardo> accomplish a 'Select * FROM xx' in Acces 97 delays 60 seconds in showing
Bernardo> me the information, but in mySQL 240 seconds !!!.

Bernardo> It can be this possible?. Would not have to be more rapid in mySQL?. Some
Bernardo> suggestion of the fact that it is what could be happening or something that I
Bernardo> am making wrong?.

Bernardo> Thanks !!!

Hi!

Did you try this in the MySQL monitor 'mysql' ?

Note that MySQL will fetch all rows to the client, while Access has a
cursor to the rows.  The cursor is faster to initialize (and get the x
first rows), but the MySQL client buffer should be MUCH faster (if you
you have the RAM to hold the rows) when you start using them.
Check that your system has not used upp your ram and that it's not
using your swap file!

We would need much more information about your setup and what you
did to be able to help you.

Regards,
Monty