List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    myodbc: Re: mysql: database distribution
From:       Scott Weikart <scott () igc ! apc ! org>
Date:       1998-11-30 23:48:23

>I have a database which is about 250 MB (including keys, about 125 without).
>It's an index of shares available on a local LAN here so people on the LAN
>can search it to easily find software.
>
>Is there a way to easily distribute the searching to different computers
>without copying the complete database 3 times every day to keep the every
>system up-to-date?

Since the database is only 250 MB, it would be best if you could have 384 to
512 MB of RAM, so the whole database could live in RAM (assuming you're
running an OS that uses all of RAM for caching filing systems).  If you have
less than 300 MB RAM, or you run other applications on the server (which would
be a mistake), then adding more RAM could help a lot.  Then you might not need
more servers.  Although you might need a faster CPU, or a second CPU.

>(mysql is very busy while updating the database, therefore I have already
>assigned a second computer to do the updating/inserting into the database
>and then copy the database 3 times every day to the search system, it's
>not an option to send update/inserts to every search system, that would
>just bog them down and give them a load of 2 all the time)

If there are a lot of queries, then sending updates/inserts to a second search
system might not be a problem.  See the mail archives about mirroring; the
conceptual way to do it is:

	tail -f nfs_mounted_update_log | mysql database

-scott