List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    Re: Utf8 errors when using mysql odbc 5.1 connector
From:       Jim Winstead <jimw () mysql ! com>
Date:       2008-02-01 16:33:10

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 08:39:17AM -0600, Osvaldo Sommer wrote:
> ODBC do not use unicode. For that you need to use connector 5 .Net

That is not correct. Connector/ODBC 5.1 handles Unicode data correctly.

Kjartan Andreassen wrote:
> When using the odbc 5.1 (or 3.51) connector I'm not getting utf8 data
> correctly back to my client.
> It looks like im getting utf-8 data as ISO, eg. ??????, instead of
> ???. I've tried different table creations with collations etc, but with
> no luck.

How are you retrieving the data? If you are using SQL_C_CHAR, you will
get data in the latin1 character set. For Unicode data, you need to use
SQL_C_WCHAR. There is no portable way to get Unicode data as UTF-8 data
directly using ODBC.

Jim Winstead
MySQL Inc.