List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    RE: My SQL ODBC connectivity in Networks
From:       <jbonnett () sola ! com ! au>
Date:       2006-07-04 23:49:28

The server can be the IP address of the machine or the name providing
you have a DNS setup that allows the name to be converted to an IP
address. If you can reference the remote machine by name for other
purposes, e.g. accessing file shares, then you can use the name. The IP
address should work in all cases, assuming you are using TCP/IP comms.,
as most people are.

The user name and password can be any that the MySQL server knows about.
This means you are using the provided default users like "root" or you
have created other user/password combinations on the server by using
GRANT statements. Also remember that the GRANT statement can specify the
host(s) the user can login from, and these must be appropriate too or
the login will not be accepted.

John B.