List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    Re: Any news on new MyODBC version?
From:       Chris Ridd <chrisridd () mac ! com>
Date:       2005-12-15 6:36:45

On 15/12/05 3:32, Daniel Kasak <dkasak@nusconsulting.com.au> wrote:

> Chris Ridd wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason why an open source project couldn't fork the MyODBC code
>> and start fixing the known problems? Or write a new open-source ODBC driver
>> using the MySQL client API?
>>

> Someone's already done a replacement for ADO <=> MyODBC ... have a look
> at http://www.vbmysql.com/projects/
> But this isn't an ODBC driver - it's just a replacement API that intends
> to be an ADO-lookalike.
>
> As for forking MyODBC, I wouldn't bother forking 3.51.x - the MySQL team

Forking from an earlier version might also allow the LGPL to be used with it
again. I know for some people the GPL is a reason to not include the driver
in their product, which is a shame. (No GPL vs LGPL license wars please!)

> have already indicated their general disgust in it, and their intention
> to do a complete rewrite. And while that rewrite is being actively
> written, the best thing for us to do is sit around and wait for it.
>
> Or if you don't like the speed with which MyODBC-5 is being developed,
> you can always simply *participate* in the development of MyODBC. Why do
> you need to fork it? Surely if it's not being developed fast enough,
> what we need is more *developers*, not more projects.

AIUI MySQL has been given a number of patches to MyODBC to fix various
things, and they simply haven't been applied for whatever reason. From
that point of view then, participation isn't working.

[...]
> this is that they are probably right. Who exactly uses MyODBC anyway?
> Some people using MS Access, Excel, etc? I don't think they're exactly
> going to be cash cows for MySQL. Most likely most of these users haven't
> paid a cent for MySQL ... ever. Maybe there are some kids playing with
> IIS and MySQL. Anyway, I would have thought that most businesses that
> actually pay for MySQL are using Perl, PHP, or the C API. I'd be very
> surprised if anyone was using MyODBC for anything serious. But I may be
> wrong ...

You could be right, in which case I'm sort of puzzled why they even bother
with ODBC, or even bothered moving it from the LGPL to the GPL.

Cheers,

Chris