List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    Database server failover solution
From:       "louis strickland" <stricklandl () iivip ! com>
Date:       2004-03-12 20:34:48

Platform        : RedHat Linux 7.3
MySql           : Version 4.0.17
MyODBC          : Version 3.51.06
App Language    : C++

I have a system of multiple call servers logging to a single database
server using MyODBC. Currently all servers are using MySql, however, the
database server could potentially use a different database depending on
client's wishes.

I want this system to be able to handle a database server failure.

Currently, a solution I am considering is as follows:

If a call server detects that the database server connection is down
'SQLGetConnectAttr' it then begins to log to its local database while
periodically checking if the database server connection is reestablished.
Once the database server connection is reestablished the call server will
write the logs from its database, written during the failure, to the
database server then resume normal logging.

1. I'm having trouble finding information on reconnecting to the database
other than just trying SQLConnect until it succeeds.

2. I'm also having trouble on finding a way using ODBC to export the table
from the call servers to the database server. There is plenty of info on
doing this using MySql specific commands using the binlog or mysql_dump
but not using ODBC commands.

3. Is there a more elegant way to do this.

Thanks,
Louis