List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    Problems connecting to remote mysql server
From:       Aaron Titus <aaron.titus () ascentialsoftware ! com>
Date:       2003-08-21 16:41:20

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading through internet usergroups and archives, and seen
my problem many times, but I have not been able to find a solution to
it. I really hope that someone out there has found a solution to this.
If you have, *PLEASE* reply to this message, since I have found
absolutely no way to get this working.

When I try to connect with the ODBC test program, I get the following
error. I don't understand why its trying to connect to a local mysql
server. I don't have one. I'm trying to connect to a *remote* server.

SQLSTATE = 08S01
NATIVE ERROR = 2002
MSG = [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

I'm trying to connect to a mysql server on windows NT (version 4.0.12),
from a sun solaris machine using the libmyodbc3.so driver. I have
installed the myODBC driver package as well as the mySQL libraries and
made sure that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable contains the correct paths.
I've got the ODBCINI environment variable pointed to my odbc.ini file.

My odbc.ini file looks like this:

[mysql]
Driver=/opt/mysql/myodbc/libmyodbc3.so
Description=MySQL