List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    Re: Which table type to use with MyODBC/PHP
From:       "Daniel J. Summers" <DanielJS () Knology ! net>
Date:       2003-07-28 15:57:46

Max Palatnik wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've asked questions in the past on this same database, but let me
> refresh your memories:
>
> This is a healthy sized database we're putting into mysql and using a
> php front end.  I'm confused as to which table type i want.. do i want
> MyISAM/InnoDB or something else? I don't understand the difference
> between transactional and non-transactional (rollbacks?) and whether
> or not I need them?
> Do i need the ability of innodb to use foreign keys? Do i even need to
> set up those relationships like I do in access?

Personally, I'd go with InnoDB, because of the foreign keys.  However,
in Access you set up relationships after you do the tables.  With MySQL,
it's probably better to do it as you create the tables - that's how I do
it.  And yes, you definitely want foreign keys, unless you really,
really, really trust your application code - and even then, foreign keys
protect you when you're not using your application.

--
Daniel J. Summers
DanielJS@Knology.net <mailto:DanielJS@Knology.net>