List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    Q: how to set up record locking?
From:       Scott Ellsworth <scott () alodar ! com>
Date:       2003-07-22 16:07:13

Hi, all.

A client of mine is moving from Access to MySql.  We have the data in a
mysql innodb table, and have Access 2000 talking to it over
Connector/ODBC. He is running Win98, and has recent SPs of JET and MDAC.

One very important requirement is correct record locking.  If two
people want to edit the same record, it is critical that the second one
who tries gets a "unable to open record read/write" warning _before_
they start typing away.

The alternative is painful - two people open the same record, and
whoever gets to it second can type all they want.  When they are done,
the changes vanis.  (This latter behavior was what Access did to them.)

So, how do I set things up such that only one person at a time can edit
a record in a table?  Given this db, it is quite common for two people
to at least consider editing the same record at the same time, and they
can wait their turn if they know to do so.

Scott