List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    Re: MySQL ODBC driver hangs for non-administrator under Windows XP
From:       Bob Kline <bkline () rksystems ! com>
Date:       2003-04-22 12:20:04

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Venu wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 14:06, Bob Kline wrote:
>
> Hi !!
>
> >  0. Install the MySQL ODBC driver.
> >  1. Create a user account on a Windows XP Home system.
> >  2. Set the account type as "Limited." [1]
> >  3. Log on using the new account.
> >  4. Click Start.
> >  5. Select "Performance and Maintenance."
> >  6. Select "Administrative Tools."
> >  7. Open "Data Sources (ODBC)."
> >  8. Create and configure a new User DSN using the MySQL ODBC driver.
> >  9. Click "Test Data Source."
> >
> > [1] The choices for XP Home are Limited and Administrator (like root on
> >     Unix).
>
> Followed the same steps from my XP Professional edition, and it just
> worked fine (tried to connect to local - 3.23, 4.0 and 4.1 along with
> Redhat 9.0 - 3.23, 4.0 and 4.1 MySQL servers).

I tried it myself on an XP Pro machine, and it worked for me, too.
Then I tried it on the XP Home system using another of the regular user
accounts, and that worked as well.  So then I began to try and see if I
could determine what was different about the account with which the
driver hung, and I noticed that the process list for this account showed
many more tasks than were present for the accounts that don't have the
problem.  I suspect that this may have been related to the fact that it
was necessary to temporarily grant this account administrative
privileges during the installation of the Palm desktop software, and
then turn those privileges back off (this is how Palm says it has to be
done).  So I blew away the account, removed all traces of the profile
connected with it, and recreated it.  After that, the ODBC driver no
longer fails with the new account.  I doubt I'll ever know exactly what
was wrong with the profile, but the bottom line is that it works now.

Thanks for your replies.

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline@rksystems.com