List:       mysql-odbc
Subject:    NLS in MySQL (RE: exporting from ms access through myodbc)
From:       "Alexander Voropay" <a.voropay () vmb-service ! ru>
Date:       2003-02-27 17:42:17

> From: Aggelos [mailto:aggman@tfz.net]

> I need to export data from microsoft access to mysql through myodbc, but I
> guess the greek characters from access do not correctly translate when
> inserted into mysql,
> I know it has to do with character encoding, because when I do a mysqldump
> of these records and then open the dumped file with a text editor (say ms
> word) choosing the "correct" encoding, that is Greek(ISO) or
> Greek(Windows),
> the insert statements display the correct readable greek characters.

 You should ask for Feature from developers or submit a patch (if you can)
to introduce a new translation table (sql/convert.cc).

 At the present time there is only one(!) Translation Table exists,
for Russian charsets : Windows-1251 Cyrillic --> KOI8-R [RFC-1489]

SET CHARACTER SET cp1251_koi8;
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/SET_OPTION.html

 So, Mysql should provide something like this for your case:
SET CHARACTER SET   WinGreek_IsoGreek;

P.S. I hope the full GLS/NLS support will be realized in version ~5... ;)
JFYI, full GLS in INFORMIX database was introduced only in v7.2

--
-=AV=-