List:       mysql-java
Subject:    Re: Defining a different location for database
From:       Christian Mack <mack_kn () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-10-28 19:12:26

MAT wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am developing an application to handle requests to a database on Linux
> Redhat 6.2, mm.mysql.2.0.2.jar, and the project requires that my database is
> placed in a non mysql-standard directory.
>
> This is what I usually use as my url,
> "jdbc:mysql://localhost/address"
>
> But now I need to specify a path to
> ../config/standard/db/address
>
> as soon as I put anything in fron of address then it recognises that as the
> database.
>
> Med Venlig Hilsen
>
> Mark Thomas                Crisplant a/s

Hi Mark

JDBC does NOT know where your MySQL is installed!!
It only connects to the running DB server and asks him to use the database with the name "address".
The DB server (= mysqld) only knows where this database is lokated in your filesystem.

So what you try is nonsens :)

Tell mysqld where to find the database files not JDBC.

Tschau
Christian