List:       mysql-java
Subject:    Re: SQLException Error codes
From:       David Pellegrini <davidp () xsitedesign ! com>
Date:       1999-05-04 23:04:26

Hans Wolters wrote:

> > While the SQLState carries "industry-standard" values, the errorCode is "...
> > specific to each vendor.
>
> Do you mean the db vendor or the jdbc vendor?

I interpret this to mean the db vendor.

> Anyway, we could all solve this
> by making a faq with all the error's we retrieve. I'm sure it will be filled in
> a few weeks.

Mark Matthews says they are listed in the MySQL .h files. Someone in the know could \
easily take that as a starting point. I don't have my hands on them, and wouldn't \
know where to look.

> I'm sure that all the developers have been debugging when making an
> application (I do). I always print my errors to the console. When it is
> compiled I run it from within a xterm to see what error's are produced.

I'm developing user applications, and I direct errors to a log file rather than the \
console. It's not so much an issue of being able to observe the error as it is to \
recover from it gracefully. For example, when users register with a login name and \
password, I need to be able to handle the situation where a user enters a login name \
that is already taken. The registration application should detect the duplicate and \
notify the user that the login name is taken and to try another login name.

-davidp

--

DataWeb Systems, Inc.