List:       mysql-java
Subject:    mysql-java: Latest pre-alpha jdbc driver.
From:       "Terrence W. Zellers" <zellert () uscom ! com>
Date:       1998-01-31 4:07:05

    I reached the next plateau, IMO so have put v0.2 of my driver in
pub/mysql/secret.   The tar.gz will expand as before.

    The changes include:

        Finishing the basics of the "statement" class so that all
the API methods are in place.  "execute()" however is just a thin
mask for executeUpdate or executeQuery.  jdbctest1 has been expanded
to repeat most of its commands with execute() to verify.

        Cleaned up Connection to finish implementing all the
API methods (as always, though those not applying to MySQL will
throw an Exception)

        A fair amount of general cleanup.

        Couple days ago, when I should have been planning my next step
in implementation, monkey curiosity climbed on my back and wouldn't let
go: there is now an htdoc directory under the jdbc directory which contains
a jar file (just an archive of the class files from jdbc/mysql/twz1), an
html file, and a very simple jdbcTestApplet1 java and class file.  Applets
were never something I learned a lot about [before] but I had to try it!
While very simple, to my astonishment and delight, it seems to work!
(with Netscape 4.04 under Linux; note that things are compiled under
jdk 1.1.3: older browsers won't work.).

       Whenever Bojan and/or whomever else is testing this have time, I
would like to know what they think absolutely must be done before I make
a "public" alpha release available.

                                                 -- TWZ

P. S.  I'm in the middle of the painful process of changing ISP's so
       please note that email should be addressed to me as (either)
       terrence.w.zellers@pobox.com or tzellers@pobox.com.  I'm still
       reachable through voicenet, but not much longer.

| Copyright 1998 by Terrence W. Zellers.  All rights explicitly reserved. |
| email: terrence.w.zellers@pobox.com | Those who can, do.  Those who     |
|                                     | cannot, write documentation.      |