List:       mysql-java
Subject:    RE: Dynamically set character set
From:       "Paul Wallace" <pwallace () twowaytv ! com ! au>
Date:       2005-09-14 0:12:57

Hi & thanks,
	I read the page you suggested, I tried:

String conString =
"jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1/test1?user=root&password=root&characterEncoding=
tis620";

and

String conString =
"jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1/test1?user=root&password=root&characterEncoding=
TIS620";

But my data still appears as ???. When setting the character set at DB
build time, it still works. I am out of ideas as to what  I am doing
wrong to set the character set in the connection.

Thanks for any help

Paul.

Paul Wallace wrote:
> Hi I need to do the above, as I will not know what language/charset is

> being inserted in to my DB. How can I set the character set? I tried:
>
> Statement statement = connection.createStatement();
> statement.execute("SET CHARACTER SET tis620");

Paul,

That won't work with JDBC. You have to set the character set when you
connect, with the "characterEncoding=..." property. You can't change it
"on the fly", as the JDBC driver can't detect this, and will send data
in the wrong character encoding.

> ...insert my thai chars..;
>
> Is this legal? I am inserting and getting back the now infamous
> question marks. Setting the character set on DB build-time is fine,
> but I need to set it at insertion time. I have also tried appending
> charset on to the connection string - String conStr =
> "jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1/test1?user=root&password=root&charset=tis620";

> - with no result. I found both these suggestions on 'net.

instead of "charset=..." (which has never been a configuration property
for the JDBC driver, btw)? That should make your application work w/
utf-8 data. Maybe the following section of the JDBC manual would help
here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/cj-character-sets.html

  -Mark

- --