List:       mysql-java
Subject:    Re: MySQL Connector/J
From:       Morten Norby Larsen <morten () magisterludi ! com>
Date:       2003-04-18 17:28:37

Hi,

Connector/J under MacOSX works great.

Personally, I have only tried it in client applications, but server
applications should not be an issue.

As you probably know, Java 1.3.1 is standard on OSX, and 1.4.1_01 is in
Software update, ready to download (you will have to download the developer
stuff from developer.apple.com). Both versions of Java work fine with
Connector/J. I have not experienced any difference between the two, but
everybody says we all ought to go with 1.4.1, so you might want to consider
that.

I have developer for (and used) Connector/J under OSX both against a
locally installed MySQL server (I have tried Marc Liyanage's version:
http://www.entropy.ch) and across the network to MySQL servers running
under  Linux and Windows. If you use a Connector/J version earlier than
3.0.6 (?) you will likely have character set issues, though.

I have been very happy with the source code version, which I just compile
into my program for development purposes, and which lets me debug my own
code while seeing in the debugger what Connector/J actually does to my
data. Neat.

So the short answer is: Yes, it works fine, you don't need anything else,
but you should download  Java 1.4.1 and its associated developer tools. And
use the latest (stable, if needed) version of Connector/J.

Hope this helps,

Morten