List:       mysql-java
Subject:    Re: character set
From:       Kaarle Kaila <kaarle.kaila () iki ! fi>
Date:       2002-06-17 20:31:06

At 15:54 17.6.2002 -0400, Joan Puig Giner wrote:
>Hey,
>I have developed an application using MySQL to power an interactive web page.
>It was working fine until someone started using Spanish characers like á é
>í ó ú
>à è ì ò ù ï ü ñ ç. Now those characters are not being displayed properly.
>I don't think it is a problem of the database server, I am using latin1
>character set and it works just fine when I query it from the command line.
>I think it has to do with the character set option when stablishing the
>connection but I have tried different things and it didn't work (latin1,
>iso...) Here is my last attempt:

I have been excercising with Unicode lately too and it seems to work
OK in many cases if you have the latest version i.e 2.0.14
With Unicode you can include characters such as Kyrillic (Russian) but
Spanish characters should work OK with just simple
Latin1 character set and then you don't need any settings like you have

i.e. String con = "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/edrive" +
>              "?user=edrive"+
>              "&password=edrive"

should be OK. With unicode I have used

>String con = "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/edrive" +
>              "?user=edrive"+
>              "&password=edrive"+
>              "&useUnicode=true" +
>              "&characterEncoding=UTF-8";

I don't know if CP852 is a Unicode set that mm driver or Java recogizes!

regards
Kaarle

>String con = "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/edrive" +
>              "?user=edrive"+
>              "&password=edrive"+
>              "&useUnicode=true" +
>              "&characterEncoding=CP852";
>
>Oh, I also made a little stand alone application which came up with the same
>results just to make sure it wasn't a web browser problem.
>
>My settings:
>Driver version: 2.0.14
>JDK 1.4
>Tomcat 4.0