List:       mysql-java
Subject:    Re: In-built connection pooling in the mm.mysql driver?
From:       "Mark Matthews" <mmatthew () thematthews ! org>
Date:       2002-04-16 18:24:00

It doesn't make sense for the driver to implement connection pooling itself.
If you dig deep into the ConnectionPoolDataSource specification, it's not
designed to be a connection pool...It is only there so that an application
server can register to be notified of lifecycle events on the connection
(close() being called, exceptions being thrown), to mangage a pool of the
connections itself. It has to be this way so all of the fancy transaction
management/association can work.

(See
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtp0410/?open&l=907,t=g
r if you want to really see the nitty-gritty details).

Your application server (whatever it is) should provide a connection pooling
mechanism that understands either javax.sql.DataSource or
javax.sql.ConnectionPoolDataSource, both of which are supported by MM.MySQL.

If your application server does not support standards-based connection
pooling, or you aren't using an application server, I suggest looking for a
javax.sql standards-based connection pool implementation, such as Tyrex
which has been mentioned on this list (http://tyrex.exolab.org/).

    -Mark (developer of MM.MySQL)