List:       mysql-internals
Subject:    MySQL and LDAP
From:       Russell E Glaue <rglaue () cait ! org>
Date:       2001-08-17 1:03:25

Has anyone considered storing all MySQL configuration information in LDAP,
and thus managing multiple instances of MySQL from a single unified
interface.
	iPlanet Directory Server 5 uses a caching methodology, in that
configuration information is stored in LDAP but also commited to harddisk
in the cofig directory of each slapd directory.  This way, config data can
be pulled (read-only) from the disk if the LDAP is not operating.  But
this allows all instances to be managed form a single LDAP tree.
	Also, we have multiple instances of MySQL in house. And although
the latest MySQL allows one to replicate the mysql database to other MySQL
instances, this is a poor idea, and having a unified LDAP interface that
atleasts pushes the user authorization data across MySQL instances (in a
ruled-base way) seems much more promising.

Perhaps an LDAP client can optionally be built into mysqld on compilation
(--with-ldap  And  --store-config-in-ldap  AND  --store-auth-in-ldap).

Anyone ever thought of this, or are working on anything like this?
I am considering working on a push method, in that the auth data is stored
in LDAP, but then pushed out to the mysql databaases in each mysqld server
instance.
The next thing after that might be a pull method for the config data, in
that each mysqld server instance pulls it's config data from an LDAP tree
(additionally storing it on harddisk) before starting up.

If MySQL is moving towards master/master repication and perhaps even
clustering, this would seem to be a necessary step.

Anyone wondering about me and MySQL SNMP, I found 'mrtg-mysql' written by
Luuk de Boer (1998) which does what I want..., for now.

-RG