List:       mysql-internals
Subject:    Re: Supporting UCA collations
From:       Alexander Barkov <bar () mysql ! com>
Date:       2008-07-14 11:37:54

Hi Kathy,

Kathryn Steinbrink wrote:
> Hello,
> I am developing a new storage engine.  Can you please give me your thoughts
> on how important it is for my storage engine to support the following UCA
> collations?  Are they popularly used by MySQL users and applications?   Do
> you believe it will be acceptable to the MySQL community if the storage
> engine does not support these collations in its initial stages and perhaps
> for a few years?  Are there other MySQL storage engines that do not support
> these collations?

Unfortunately, we don't have good statistics about
how popular each collation is.
MyISAM, Heap, Falcon, InnoDB engines do support these collations.
Some third-party engines are know to support collations for
only 8-bit character sets.

What is the main difficulty in supporting the collations you listed?

Also, you didn't mention these collations:

ucs2_general_ci utf8_general_ci
ucs2_bin        utf8_bin
ucs2_swedish_ci utf8_swedish_ci

Are you going to implement them?