List:       mysql-internals
Subject:    Re: Blocking read as in Bug 5449
From:       Sergei Golubchik <serg () mysql ! com>
Date:       2005-09-30 12:39:45

Hi!

On Sep 28, Frank Sonntag wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I stumbled over the problem as described in
> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=5449.
> If one unplugs the network cable from a machine running a MySQL server
> existing client connections will block inside a read call for about 15
> minutes and sometimes even longer (I had one process hanging until I killed
> it after an hour).
>
> Although there is a patch available (http://lists.mysql.com/internals/27637)
> I've got a few questions that I'd like you opinion or help on:
>
> Why is the fix not included in 4.1.14? Is it not tested enough?

The status is still "In Progress" - that is the patch was not a final
one, Ramil is working on a new patch.

> Why does the patch not work? When I do a patch -p1 < patchfile I get errors
> like
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 81.
> Hunk #2 FAILED at 149.
> Hunk #3 FAILED at 189.
> 3 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file include/violite.h.rej

The patch was for 4.1 tree.

> Is there a plan for fixing the problem in 4.0 (which is our current production
> platform)?

No.

> If I do need to build MySQL from source, are the parameters used to
> configure MySQL's production releases available?

There're building hints in the manual, and in any case all the flags are
listed in the mysqlbug script that comes with the binary distribution.

Regards,
Sergei

--
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /   Sergei Golubchik <serg@mysql.com>