List:       mysql-developer
Subject:    Re: mysql and netapp/nfs. (fwd)
From:       Michael Widenius <monty () mysql ! com>
Date:       2000-09-20 12:26:32

Hi!

>>>>> "Joshua" == Joshua Chamas <joshua@chamas.com> writes:

Joshua> There is no issue if you are just running one
Joshua> mysql database against the data files.  The trouble
Joshua> is when you want to run many mysql databases against
Joshua> the same storage.  At one place I consult for, we
Joshua> run MySQL over NFS for the higher availability of
Joshua> the NetApp than the local Linux disks.  This is to
Joshua> protect the data though, not for hot failover.

The problem with running many servers on the same data is that you
need to have a reliable lockd daemon;  I haven't tested lockd on Linux
for a while, but it may be worth for you to do a test with nfsv3 and
see how things work. Just remember to start mysqld with
--enable-locking if you try this!

Regards,
Monty