List:       mysql-announce
Subject:    MySQL Newsletter May 2001
From:       Michael Widenius <monty () mysql ! com>
Date:       2001-05-24 8:27:31

MySQL Newsletter May 2001
2001-05-23

Dear MySQL user.

We plan to soon start sending out regular newsletter about interesting
MySQL news and happenings to make it easier for MySQL users to keep
track of what's happening with MySQL.

Receiving this newsletter
when they registered themself as a MySQL user.

- Previously one could register as a user on www.mysql.com to add
  comments to the MySQL manual.  We have extended this so that you
  can ask to get newsletter like this and also restrict the content
  of the newsletter to different areas.

  By registering as a user, you will also be able to add new items
  and comments on our new MySQL 'portals'.

  http://www.mysql.com/login.php

MySQL Max binary versions
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- "MySQL has over the years grown to be a robust and capable SQL
  server with a lot of useful extensions that can be enabled at compile
  time. As not all users will have use for all extensions, we have
  solved this by providing two different MySQL binaries.

  - The standard MySQL 3.23 binary that is optimized for raw speed and
    without transactions.
  - The MySQL Max 3.23 binary which includes support for the most
    requested features, like support for Berkeley DB (BDB) and
    InnoDB transactional tables.

   We can find MySQL Max binaries for our most popular platforms at
   http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-max-3.23.html

MySQL training
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Our partner Polycon, the MySQL training materials developer, is
  currently holding several training sessions across Europe.
  You can still register to the next Official MySQL In-depth week that
  will be held in Helsinki, in English, from May 28th to June 1st. This
  course will include Introduction, Administration, and Optimisation of
  MySQL. All the information is available at: http://www.polycon.fi/mysql,
  and you can contact them at: mysql@polycon.fi

Tutorial: MySQL and PHP in web use
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- In affiliation with Sitepoint.com we bring you an in-depth tutorial
  about how to create a database-driven website with PHP and
  MySQL. This tutorial provides a hands-on look at what's involved. By
  the end of this tutorial you should come away with everything you
  need to get started on your very own database-driven site in no
  time!

  http://www.mysql.com/articles/ddws/

New sections on the MySQL website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- In an effort to provide more structured information on our web sites
  we are creating a set of sections (currently called 'portals' while we
  are trying to find a more descriptive name) where you will be able to
  easily find anything that is MySQL related.
  You will also be able to add new items to the portal and add comments
  for existing items on the portals.

  Our first section is a book section where you will find all MySQL
  related books and books that the developers that works on MySQL would
  like to recommend to other developers.

  http://www.mysql.com/portal/

  We will soon add a sections for 'Distributions that include MySQL',
  'Software', 'Developer links', 'Partners',  a 'bulletin board' and
  more.

  We hope you will find this service very useful!

Regards,
Monty
CTO

This email is Copyright MySQL AB. MySQL is a trademark of MySQL AB.
MySQL AB reserves the right to changes without further notice.