List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: Max Tables In A Database
From:       Stephen Johnson <stephen () la2nite ! com>
Date:       2000-09-29 23:12:31

OK well, if Phorum requires 3 tables per message board then that is
probably not the product that you want to be using for your 1500 message
boards.  I have a message board dB set up that will allow for an unlimited
number of boards with only 3 forum tables (forum, forum_type, and message)
and 2 user tables (user, user_profile) and then I added one more table for
moderation and security (fuser_access).  Those 6 tables manage, currently
30 message boards on a http://www.la2nite.com and 10 on
http://www.ny2nite.com (oh yeah it allows for multiple websites as well,
obviously)

The point is that message boards are easy to design and program.  so why
use a product that requires so much over head?

Stephen Johnson
stephen@la2nite.com