List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: Storage of Graphic files
From:       James Treworgy <jamie () trewtech ! com>
Date:       2000-05-31 16:26:46

A subject of continuing debate, but if the application permits it I would
generally advise keeping the graphics files outside SQL.  You will quickly
diminsh performance by trying to keep a lot of big images inside your
database.  A better solution - again if the situation permits - is to keep
a thumbnail in the database and store a reference (perhaps a URL) to the
full image.

Implementation details might include having your Access frontend convert an
image to a thumbnail when someone adds one to the database (accomplishable
with shareware image processing libraries/controls), store the thumbnail
binary data, and copy the image to the file system storage area.

Jamie