List:       mysql
Subject:    install MySQL source
From:       "Daniel Lacal" <d_lacal () sextante ! es>
Date:       1999-04-30 14:28:49

I've  installed MySQL in a machine Pentium II, with Red Hat and Stronhold, everything \
seemed to go right until I try to do a test using this:

 ./mysqladmin version
the error is the next:

        ./mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
        error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server (2)'
        Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!

Also when I try to stop the server (the server is running) using this command
 ./mysql.server stop

the message error is this:
No mysqld pid file found. Looked for /usr/local/mysql/data/mysqld.pid.

I've looked for this file but it doesn't exists.

I need help
                                        Thank you

                                        Daniel Lacal (d_lacal@sextante.es)