List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: mysql: mode 000 violation by MySQL
From:       Paul DuBois <paul () snake ! net>
Date:       1999-01-31 21:50:29

At 6:27 AM -0600 1/30/99, guybrand@chimie.u-strasbg.fr wrote:
>  File ~/.my.conf, when changed mode to unreadable, is still loaded
>  and used by mysql engine.
>
>>How-To-Repeat:
>  chmod 000 ~/.my.conf
>  ls -l ~/.my.conf
>  ----------   1 user     group          50 jan 20 23:03 /home/.my.cnf
>
>  mysql -u user
>  Welcome to the MySQL...
>
>>Fix:
>  better mv ~/.my.conf ~/.old.my.conf
>  to inhibit .my.conf file reading.

mysql uses ~/.my.cnf, not ~/.my.conf.  Perhaps you are chmod'ing the
wrong file.  Or maybe you're running as root, which can read anything.
Or perhaps your OS is broken and doesn't understand mode 0.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@snake.net
Madison Black Wolf: http://www.primate.wisc.edu/people/dubois/blackwolf/