List:       mysql
Subject:    mysql: problem with visiblity of databases
From:       Michael Widenius <monty () monty ! pp ! sci ! fi>
Date:       1999-01-30 18:59:11

>>>>> "Alastair" == Alastair Waddell <awaddell@legion.com.au> writes:

Alastair> We are building a database editing system using mySQL and PHP3.  The
Alastair> object of the exercise is to allow users to only edit those databases
Alastair> they
Alastair> are allowed to edit.  We can achieve all of that, but all users can at
Alastair> least see the names of all databases when we use the PHP3
Alastair> mysql_listdbs()
Alastair> function or the mySQL SHOW DATABASES command.  This is unnaceptable, we
Alastair> want our users to only see those databases that they are allowed access
Alastair> to.

Alastair> At a later date will will want to allow ODBC access to the mySQL server,
Alastair> where we will want identical behavior.

Alastair> Regards,
Alastair> --
Alastair> Alastair Waddell		o Tel +61 3 96400400
Alastair> Legion Internet
Alastair> Queen Street, Melbourne		o Full featured VISP Facility

hi!

Sorry, MySQL doesn't provide the above functionallity;  If you want to
have this, you have to edit the source for mysql 'show databases'.

(file sql/sql_show.cc)

Regards,
Monty