List:       mysql
Subject:    mysql: Transactions and MySQL
From:       "aaron" <ross () forum ! swarthmore ! edu>
Date:       1998-08-31 12:53:03

Hi,
    I was hoping I could get some advice.  I am in the process of creating a database \
backend using and DBI for a group of web sites.  I am very happy with mySQL's speed, \
ease of use and support (i.e. this mailing list and its archives).  However I am a \
little concerned about not having a transaction based database server for a busy web \
site.  I was wondering what solutions other people had come up with.    I've read the \
docs and I wasn't entirely convinced that updating fields "relatively" would solve \
the problem of conflicting client threads. I'm not worried about id fields, \
auto_increment is great.  What concerns me is what happens when 30 or 40 updates and \
inserts happen at once.  I don't know how often it will happen that they occur at \
exactly the same time, but I am certain to get 30 to 40 at nearly the same time due \
to the nature of the website.  Won't LOCK table slow things down a lot? Having to \
lock files is a part of the problem we are trying to solve by moving to a SQL \
database system. But then again transactions would probably slow things down too.

    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  Aaron.