List:       mysql
Subject:    mysql: Way to use a select result nested in a select?
From:       Matthias Pigulla <mp () webfactory ! de>
Date:       1998-08-29 14:19:05

Hi folks,

Imagine I've got a table containing some SQL expressions in a text
field, each having a unique ID.

Now, do you have any idea how to execute one of these queries with one
select clause, e.g.:
*) select (select query from commands where id=1) ;

commands.query with id=1 might be "field1 from test where id>15", so the
whole expression *) has to be expanded to "select field1 from test where
id>15".

Is this somehow possible, or will I have to select the command first and
then send a new query with the result of the first? What I'd like to
achieve is to get the final result with only one command in the mysql
monitor program.

Matthias
mp@webfactory.de