List:       mysql
Subject:    mysql: Changing DB names on a production system
From:       Michael Widenius <monty () monty ! pp ! sci ! fi>
Date:       1998-07-30 15:42:28

>>>>> "Brendan" == Brendan Quinn <brendan@sofcom.com.au> writes:

Brendan> Hi MySQLers,
Brendan> We have databases with names containing dots. We managed to survive the
Brendan> transition to 3.21 by copying files across from our 3.20 system, but
Brendan> obviously we have to change the DB names or it will screw us up in the
Brendan> future.

Brendan> Because we have hundreds of CGIs all accessing the databases, there is
Brendan> no way we can do the change in one shot. What we'd like to be able to do
Brendan> is have both db.name and db_name active for a while, as we change the
Brendan> CGIs, then "turn off" (delete) the db.name databases.

Brendan> As Mysql databases are normal files on the disk, would it be possible to
Brendan> create a symlink (or hard link) in the data directory for a while, so
Brendan> both DBs are used simultaneously, and then get rid of the dot version
Brendan> when we're ready? Can anyone see this causing any problems?

Hard links should work without problems as long as no one updates
tables!

Have you tried to do:

replace db.name db_name db.name2 db_name2 ... -- *.cgi

This will allow you to changed 'in place' many table names instantly
to new ones !

Regards,
Monty