List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: mysql: Problem running mysqld on Linux
From:       Simon J Mudd <simon.mudd () alltrading ! es>
Date:       1997-09-30 13:33:56

Austinlom@aol.com writes:

> I downloaded the binary release of mysql 2.30.29.  When I try to run
> I get the error: mysqld: Can't load library 'libpthread.so.0'.  This
> is a linux machine kernel  version 2.1.3.  Thanks in advance, Austin
> Moody (austinlom@aol.com)

If it's  any consolation  (and  you  use  redhat)  the mySQL  rpm  (on
www.tcx.se  or was it  ftp.redhat.com?)   works very well.  I'm  still
testing things out, but it works out of the box, and you don't need to
worry about compiling anything.  (not that  I can't but it's easier if
I don't have to).

Maybe the 2.1.3 kernel is the cause of  problems, especially since the
2.1.x  kernels are  around 57 at  the moment.   I'm running  2.0.30 on
redhat 4.2, and   at  least for non-experimental  machines  using rpms
saves  a lot of aggravation, not  only installing, but also upgrading,
which is necessary from time to time.

If you use redhat's (or Caldera's) distribution, then at least you can
easily   check   which libraries are  installed    with rpm's  "rpm -q
--requires mysql", which does show it needs 'linuxthreads'.

I guess you don't have linuxthreads installed.

Simon

--

Simon Mudd  ********  All Trading Brokers Europe  *********  Madrid, Spain
Work: simon.mudd@alltrading.es   Tel: +34-1-592 8100,  Fax: +34-1-592 8170