List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: Long time for client to connect; not for script.
From:       Hartmut Holzgraefe <hartmut () mariadb ! com>
Date:       2014-11-11 8:58:32

On 10.11.2014 17:57, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> Can someone help explain something to me?  When I use "mysql" to connect
> to my server, it can take upwards of 15 seconds.

Are you connecting to a database with many tables? In that case
"mysql -A ..." (--no-auto-rehash) may make a difference. This
will disable fetching schema information on all possible table
and column names for tab completion which can take quite some
time depending on the shema size of the database you're
connecting to ...

--
Hartmut Holzgraefe, Principal Support Engineer (EMEA)
MariaDB Corporation | http://www.mariadb.com/