List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: When will MySQL support the ANSI SQL MERGE command?
From:       "shawn l.green" <shawn.l.green () oracle ! com>
Date:       2014-09-19 19:51:40

Hello ccleve,

On 9/19/2014 3:06 PM, ccleve wrote:
> I need to do upserts and I need cross-database compatibility. I'd hate
> to drop support for MySQL in my product. Does MySQL plan to support
> the ANSI-standard MERGE command for upserts?

You appear to be looking for one of these commands that MySQL does support.

INSERT... SELECT ... ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE ...
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/insert.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/insert-on-duplicate.html

REPLACE... SELECT ...
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/replace.html

You can file a feature request to add a new command (MERGE) to the
parser, here.
http://bugs.mysql.com/

But the odds are low that we will add the predicate MERGE to our
syntaxes simply because we already have a storage engine called MERGE.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/merge-storage-engine.html

--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN