List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: database developer tool "Database Workbench 5" now available
From:       "shawn l.green" <shawn.l.green () oracle ! com>
Date:       2014-09-05 15:16:47

Hello Martin,

On 9/5/2014 7:52 AM, Martin Gainty wrote:

> ... snip ...
>
> MG>My development is identical ..Development on Windows..Production on Linux
> MG>When google routes me to Vladimir Putins site for "Official Windows Mysql Stack" \
> you download god knows what MG>solution is to give the customer an in-between \
> solution such as mysqld, mysqladmin and mysql shell scripts that will work under \
> Windows cygwin MG>The Database Workbench version5 MySQL plugin README should detail \
> *a seamless installation* for Windows cygwin MG>if I have to make changes to my.ini \
> or etc/init.d the readme should be specific on what those changes should be \
> MG>Readme should also be specific on how to successfully test mysql ports \
> (presumably 3306)..i assume netstat -a | grep 3306? MG>Thanks

If your production server is running MySQL on Linux, you can still use
all the MySQL client tools to work with them (MySQL Workbench, mysql,
mysqladmin, mysqldump, mysqlcheck, ...)  from a Windows machine.

For those tools or commands that must operate at the server
(mysqld_multi, myisamchk, ...) , having a remote shell to the server is
required. This can happen on Windows through any number of ssh clients,
not just the one that comes with Cygwin.

Granted, one advantage of running Cygwin on user's host machine is that
you give them a local bash shell to work from but once you hop boxes
(via ssh) and are now 'local' to the production server, that advantage
is mostly moot.

Let's say you don't want to install a local copy of MySQL on their
Windows machine to give them access to the same tools built for their
system. What prevents your Windows users from starting (just as an
example) a puTTY shell to the remote server (your production Linux box)
and executing your bash-based scripts from within that session?

Except for being able to have the great Linux tools cross compiled to
work on Windows (all sorts of goodies that Windows does not natively
have like grep, sed, awk, less, ...) that comes from installing Cygwin,
why are you complicating things?

--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN